Religious and spiritual traditions can help deepen our awareness of the vitality of the Earth, teaching us about our innate connections to place, space, and time. This section observes the intersections between faith and climate, detailing the ways in which knowledge grounded in religious or spiritual wisdom prompts us to both acknowledge and respond to our changing climate.
As you work through this section, it may be helpful to ask yourself: How can we create more space for faith-based knowledge in the climate conversation? What uses can religious and spiritual traditions serve in our efforts to take climate action seriously?
- Climate Change is Fact. Now is the Time to Act Church World Service
- Climate Change Statements from World Religions Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology
- Christianity - Roman Catholic
- Christianity - Eastern Orothodox
- Christianity - Protestant Demoninations and Organizations
- Indigenous Traditions
- More Statements from World Religions
- Global Hindu Declaration on Climate Change United Religions Initiative
- Interfaith Climate Change Statement United Religions Initiative
- Climate change is a top spiritual priority for these religious leaders Washington Post
- Why faith and environment matters United Nations
- How religions are involved in environmental protection United Nations
- Eco-Faith Index Eco-Faith
- All About: Religion and the environment CNN
1. Identify three values that come from religious or spiritual traditions, which can assist all of us in coping with a changing climate?
2. Think of two classic stories from within religious or spiritual traditions of which you are aware. How can these stories instruct us in a way that creates a more resilient future?
3. Filling in the Gaps! (30 Minutes)
Many different religions have issued formal statements addressing the realities and challenges of a changing climate. In a small group, and working on the internet, locate three of these statements. Next, identify what is missing - or where are the gaps - that these statements fail to address. What would add to fill in the gaps?
Podcasts allow us to experience the values and stories of neighbors from around the world. We encourage you to Take a Listen: